CBD is regarded as a versatile and innovative supplement of the modern age, but considering the origins of CBD oil, we can gauge its irreplaceability since the very beginning. It was found in Cannabis sativa plant and extracted in its current form by a graduate of Harvard University named Roger Adams in 1940. Years after its discovery, researches started unveiling the real potential of CBD and the potential CBD benefits that can be applied to all walks of life.
The clinical history of CBD started in 1946, and since then, CBD has found its way into our lives in many unique shapes. From CBD oil to CBD vapes, this substance has become a highly valuable part of human lives. Although it comes with its shortfalls, yet benefits of using CBD outweigh any other possibilities that accompany its use. Below is a brief yet all-encompassing guide on the different ways of taking CBD and their impacts on our lives.
CBD, stands for cannabidiol, is a natural compound derived straight from cannabis. Originally, it is a vital ingredient of medical marijuana and was considered addictive in its early stages. Later, another source of CBD, i.e., the hemp plant, was discovered, also considered as the eco-friendlier source of this substance. Unlike its parent plant marijuana, CBD doesn’t cause addiction or a ‘high’ in its users. Also, it has more beneficial effects on the human body than any other drug derived through the same means. A survey by the World Health Organization stated that there is no real proof that the use of pure CBD causes any health-related problems.
However, another compound in cannabidiol, which is usually isolated from CBD and never added to any of the CBD products, is THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). THC is a psychoactive compound and increases anxiety. It is also the addictive part of CBD that needs to be removed before further processing. Once free of THC, any CBD product is fit to meet all health and safety standards.
History is full of exceptional instances of CBD’s worth for human life. It is stated that in the 19th century, Queen Victoria used CBD to reduce the pain of menstrual cramps. CBD was massively cultivated in England, and when the locals moved to America, they brought in CBD (hemp) with them. After the establishment of the United States, fibres of CBD were utilised for a vast range of purposes, and its descents were used as medicines. Cannabis extracts of different kinds had far-flung use in the U.S. until the beginning of 1900 when countries were banishing marijuana. Proponents have been struggling to make CBD legal since its prohibition. Struggles continue till date for bringing CBD into mainstream consumer usage, but many stones still need to be turned.
There are so many options for CBD consumption these days. The reason behind all these variations is to promote the use of CBD among a wider consumer base and spread awareness of its advantages. However, it is strongly advised to take any form of CBD after consulting your doctor.
From the long list of ways to consume CBD, the following are the most popular ones:
- Smoking high-CBD marijuana or hemp flower strains;
- Taking CBD oil or tincture sublingually;
- Apply CBD topicals for localised relief;
- Inhale CBD through vapes;
- Consume CBD capsules or edibles;
- CBD Dabbing from wax, crystals or butter.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages of the commonly used CBD products:
People love CBD capsules for delivering an accurate proportion of hemp extract in one dose. They are perfect for swallowing with few sips of water and deliver the desired results. Majority of CBD capsule varieties are easily digestible and come with different shells. They are available as 5mg to 50mg strains and consist of perfectly milled powder or oil.
- Provide long-lasting effects as their effects are visible after 4 – 6 hours;
- There is a minimum chance of wastage;
- Capsules can be consumed discreetly.
- They have low bioavailability, i.e., 4 – 20%;
- Capsules may contain gelatin which makes them unsuitable for vegans and vegetarians;
- Their daily dose is fixed and cannot be altered much.
CBD oil is appreciated worldwide for its different flavours and strengths, along with its countless benefits. It can be taken with a dropper, swallowed, sprayed or added into drinks and foods.
- They have good bioavailability, i.e., 35%;
- Its effects can be felt for 10 hours;
- Its daily dosage can be altered;
- It is suitable for vegans and vegetarians as well.
- They don’t provide a precise dosage;
- There are higher chances of wastage;
- Their bitter taste can make it difficult to use on a regular basis.
CBD vaping is popular these days for its immediate effects. Vaping is believed to be the fastest practical way to add CBD to the bloodstream. After vaping the CBD e-liquid through a vape pen or CBD cartridge, there is an immediate feeling of relaxation as the body muscles are calmed down. In a very short while, the entire body can feel the difference of this substance while being in the blood. CBD vaping is considered to be an excellent treatment for anxiety attacks and relaxing pain flare-ups.
- Effects felt almost immediately;
- Vaping provides the highest bioavailability;
- Easy to use.
- Potential allergens and extremely hazardous thinning agents in e-liquids;
- Vaping can become an instant addiction due to its convenience and availability;
- Unknown long-term side-effects of vaping;
- How deeply you inhale and how many inhales you make affect the dose you get from vaping, making it hard to measure.
There is unlimited research out there that shows the positive aspects of CBD and how they can make our lives better in ingenious ways. Still, this substance needs ample amount of exposure and acceptance throughout society to reach its full potential. Till then, the various forms of CBD available nowadays will continue to add their priceless benefits to our lives. It is always recommended to be vigilant with the use of different CBD forms and avoid its use in case of any allergies or unprecedented health conditions. After all, precautions are always better than a cure.