The COVID 19 pandemic has hit the world hard and impacted the health and the economy of many countries. Countries throughout the world are on lockdown to fight the spread of infection and flatten the curve. There are so many changes happening at a fast rate that, for most people sleep has taken a backseat. But while you are working from home it is time to focus on health and sleep. Sleep is critical during these times as it can boost your immunity and also improve emotional health.
Tips To Sleep Well During COVID 19 Times
Use the Bed for Sleep only: Many people end up working from bed when they are working from home. Sleep experts scoff at this idea of using the bed for anything other than sleep, as that helps the mind to associate the bedroom with sleeping and relaxation and nothing else. Now that there is an extended period of work from home it is all the more important that you do not get your work into the bed. Sleep is interrupted if the brain associates your bedroom to the workspace or entertainment centre.
Set A Schedule: Create a routine so that there is normalcy even in these disturbing times. That helps the mind as well as the body to get used to the routine and schedule. Maintain a consistent sleep schedule so that there are no disturbances to your routine, recommends sleep experts from WakeFit. Your daily schedule should include:
- Consistent Wakeup Time: Set your alarm at the same time every day so that your day starts at that fixed time.
- Have a healthy breakfast: The most important meal of the day should be healthy with a lot of whole foods and less sugary. That prevents cravings as well as frequent snacking during the day.
- Eat at the same time: Just like how you should maintain a sleep routine one should maintain the food timings too. If one meal time gets delayed the rest also gets out of schedule, so stick to eating at the same time. It also helps the body to digest food before you get to bed.
- Wind-down: Before you hit your bed spend some time winding down and relaxing. Avoid watching or reading news related to COVID 19 as that increases stress and anxiety. Listen to music, take a warm bath, read a book or meditate every night to wind down before you sleep on your favourite mattress brand.
- Bedtime: Always sleep at the same time every night be it on a weekday, weekend or a holiday as that helps in falling asleep easily.
Avoid Naps: Staying at home all day makes you feel sleepy and a nap looks tempting especially if you are working close to a cosy looking ortho mattress India. But it is best to avoid it as it can disrupt sleep at night. For some people, a power nap works wonders but it should be early in the afternoon. Avoid long naps later in the day instead of that opt for some chore or an activity that will make your mind active.
Exercise: If you have stopped exercise as you cannot go out due to lockdown there are many ways you can stay active without going out. If you have a gym membership, many are live-streaming classes and you can attend one of them. Even if you are not a gym person there are many online classes with different exercise routines, opt for one and stay active. Regular exercise and staying active is important as it induces sleep at night.
Be Mindful Of Eating And Drinking Habits: This lockdown has brought out the chef in all of us. Though it is a good way to improve your culinary skills, it can have an impact on your weight especially if you are looking to control it. So when you are trying out a new dish ensure that you choose healthy options and eat in controlled portions. Avoid spicy, oily and heavy meals for dinner as that can impact sleep. Avoid alcohol consumption as that can also impact on the sleep quality and the hangover the next day makes you less productive at work. Drink lots of fluids especially water during the day so that the body is hydrated.
Allow Natural Light: Exposure to natural light helps in regulating the body’s internal clock. Try the following to get fresh air and sunlight:
- Spend some time in the morning to get natural light. If you are not allowed to go out of the house due to lockdown, you can use your terrace or balcony to get light and fresh air.
- During your work hours, keep all the windows open to allow light into your workspace.
- Make sure that your mattress is comfortable, if not check out some Best Mattress To Buy online.
- Avoid screentime before bed so that the blue light does not interfere in your sleep.
Quality sleep is essential for the overall wellbeing of a person. During a lockdown, sleep becomes extra important as it can boost immunity and help fight infections. To get this quality sleep, the surface you relax on at night becomes critical. So all leading mattress brands recommend that it be maintained properly by changing sides of the bed so that there is even wear and tear, fluffing pillows, changing bedsheets and vacuuming so that it provides the needed support and comfort. Follow the above tips to sleep well and stay healthy!