Whatever the size of your business, generating sales and nurturing customers is vital for growth. Most business owners know that there are different techniques they can use to boost sales. However, if you want to make the most out of every single lead, a well-nurtured sales funnel is essential.
A sales funnel describes how customers move between the different stages of your business. Every sales funnel will vary slightly depending on the business niche, but each funnel will look at the various stages of customer interaction. These stages are awareness, interest, decision and action. Using these stages effectively will allow you to perfect your client acquisition strategies. For client acquisition to be successful and to encourage conversions, customers must be adequately nurtured through the sales funnel.
The start of the funnel is all about building brand awareness. This can be done in several ways, and it is likely you already know what works well for your business. Common awareness techniques include paid advertising, social media marketing and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
With 75% of all online users never scrolling past the first page on Google, having a substantial online presence is vital to gaining awareness. It is important to remember that, at this stage, users are simply becoming aware of your brand, and they require nurturing and guiding to take the step to become a paying customer.
The interest stage is crucial in helping prospects reach the next step of the funnel. This is when people will want more information about your business, services and products.
Give them the chance to discover your brand via social media, online reviews and newsletters. Guide them through what your business offers and how this can benefit them, using marketing methods such as targeted content, live videos and webinars. At this stage, consumers will begin to realise how your products and services will help them, and why they need you.
Consumers who reach the decision stage will have a desire to buy, but need further nurturing to be sure your product is the right one for them. At this stage, you need to start incentivising people to choose you over competitors. Consider exclusive promotions, a free trial or consultation, or valuable content such as an eBook. Make sure that whatever method you decide to use, your message is clear and consistent.
The decision stage can vary depending on the user, but it generally involves showing that you’re trustworthy and credible. Take into consideration the interactions each customer has with your business up to this point, and what they may need to make a decision. While you can’t design a unique journey for every single customer, you should make sure that every customer has the information they need to make a decision. Key touchpoints at the decision stage might include customer reviews, price comparisons and demonstrating product quality.
Look out for patterns among interested buyers to reveal vital information on how to target your future client acquisition strategies.
Nurturing your leads through your sales funnel will eventually result in customers taking action and buying from your business. It is a common mistake to think that this is the end of the road for your customers. In actual fact, it is now that you need to think about how you can nurture them to return time and time again. Repeat and loyal customers are extremely valuable to a business, and marketing tactics such as coupons, newsletters and reward systems are all excellent for encouraging customers to return.
Nurturing your customers throughout the sales funnel is essential for driving sales and increasing conversions. When just 4% of users who visit your website are ready to make a purchase, that leaves a massive 96% that need to be convinced your business is the one for them.